Not much to report. Maddy is continuing to talk up a storm. Gabe is continuing to eat. The difference in their weight is getting greater every day. Sometimes Maddy eats a couple of ounces per feeding, and Gabe can eat double her portion. He is pretty much a hoss, but he's a cute hoss. Compared to him, Maddy feels like a powder puff. Gabe is trying really hard to talk. It feels like the babbles are in there, his mouth just won't form them. He likes to make all sorts of loud noises, though.
First pic is of some family time we had on the guest bedroom bed over the weekend. Lots of talking and singing and rolling around. Babies were worn out! Second pic is of Gabe and me doing some serious close talking. It felt like the boy was trying to crawl into my mouth, he was cuddling so hard.
First video is of Maddy getting really mad at the alien on the tummy mat because it won't answer her. My mom thinks I'm doing serious damage by letting her disparage over this. I say I'm creating coping skills. :) Second video is of Gabe. I have been concerned about Gabe lately because of this http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/infantilespasms/infantilespasms.htm. He has a lot of jerks and startles that he can't seem to control. Sometimes he seems upset by them. I freaked out about it and called the pediatrician, who told me to come in, but now I think I may have fallen victim of new mother's syndrome instead. What do you think?


Okay, so where we start is realizing that neither of them are even three months old yet. That's an important thing to remember...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the pediatrician is going to see them, in part to help settle some of your concerns. To me, I don't see much difference in the spazzy way either of them kick and flail their arms. They just look like babies who are at that developmental stage where they've figured out they have an impact on their environment, but they haven't figured out what does what. Looks different from the seizure type activity I've seen in sick babies.
I think it's good for Maddy to experience her non-responsive "friends"...helps her experience that not everything in the world will respond to her...and the most important things that do are Mom and Dad. Just the very act of getting frustrated/mad is good, too. Those are real emotions. She's learning where they fit appropriately. And, finally, she's learning that when it gets more than she can take, mom is there to make it better. Good coping skills.
Gabey is learning too. But I think he still has the limb movement connected to verbal communication - typical in boys. I wonder if his being startled might be similar to Maddy's frustration...the action does not get the anticipated result and it surprises him, just as it frustrates her.
I think they're doing well, but one of the reasons we have pediatricians is to clarify concerns we have a parents. I say let them do what we pay them to do.
Loved the videos and pics. They are wonderful...just like their parents!
Huh? I don't remember saying anything about serious damage and/or disparging.....sounds like you really are afflicted with that new mama syndrome. Which is completely normal. They both look GREAT!
ReplyDelete