Things are going well here! Babies are continuing to grow and do new and exciting things. Both are pretty active with the kicking and the arm jerking. Philip is always remarking on how strong Gabe's legs are! I know he gets it from his dad. Both can hold their head up for a while. No reaching yet, but definitely doing things like pushing bottle away when full. Gabe also does a lot with his hands especially, making a fist and releasing it over and over again, and he loves to "pet" whomever is feeding him. Both babies like to touch my face while I feed them (I have taken to putting them on their backs on my chest and stomach, with their face next to mine, because being upright helps with tummy trouble).
They are seeing more and more now, and we can tell by how intently they stare. Both are really loving the Christmas tree lights! We have some brightly colored tummy mats with some weird creatures' faces on them, and Maddy loves to talk to them. She gets mad after a while because they don't respond like Mom and Dad do. Both are smiling a lot, and they wake themselves up laughing, which is cute. Maddy tends to stay up for longer periods without getting fussy. She is also a bit more independent and can play on her own for a while. Gabe really, REALLY likes to be held. Loves the hotsling. Consequently, Gabe is a night owl. He sleeps hard all day and is really energetic and hard to keep down all night. Maddy is really the opposite, for the most part.
They both are talking a lot. It is really funny when they get going at the same time. This happens in the morning sometimes, and I just look from baby to baby trying to keep up. Oh, and both love music. When they are upset (6pm tends to be when things get hairy), I'll put the TV on the Christmas music channel and sing to them.
We have started a nighttime routine of bath (Maddy likes, Gabe- not so much), bottle, book, and bed at 8pm. I bathe one, then Philip feeds, reads, and puts him/her to bed while I bathe the other, then feed, read, and put him/her to bed. They are still getting the hang of this routine. Not sure they're liking the crib or the nursery as much. They are used to spending the day in the living room with me, and seeing/hearing all that action.
Gabe is drinking an ounce more per feeding than Maddy, and it shows! I am still pumping, and they are drinking half breastmilk, half formula. They still have some digestive problems, but at this point I'm just hoping they'll outgrow them. In addition to the spitting up and other reflux stuff, I think they're still figuring out how their bowels work. I could elaborate on that, but it's too close to breakfast time.
We are excited about their first Christmas. Philip picked up a tree yesterday, and we have some stockings to put over the fireplace. Philip is also insistent that we get them gifts, even though I say they won't notice either way. I guess children, even brand new ones, breathe extra life into holidays.
I plan on taking some cute pics of them in their "first Christmas" onesies that a co-worker bought, swaddled in the luxurious Christmas blankets that their Mammaw mailed us a couple of weeks ago, and making some Christmas cards to send you all. Look for them in the mail soon.
Happy holidays!
They won't "know" what's going on, but they'll know. And you'll have pictures and stories that you will tell again and again, and it will become a part of the family mythology.
ReplyDeleteBesides, it's fun...:)
I keep having a recurring dream. In it, the babies go from where they are now developmentally to crawling and speaking words, and then walking and talking in complete sentences, all within one day. Let's analyze that one... :)
Love you!