I am pleased to report that the first week of daycare was a grand success! The first day, Philip went with me to drop them off (thanks to him for enduring the long trip back into the city for HIS first day back at work). We walked in and Gabe was flashing an ear-to-ear smile and basically doing the pageant wave like he was famous. Maddy- well, you know the story. It only took one second for her to realize the fluorescent lighting and noises signified a new and potentially scary place, and out came the bottom lip and then crying ensued.
We stayed for about 15 or 20 minutes while everyone got acclimated and I rocked Maddy. Then Philip said, "Okay, let's go, Steph…" And then out came my bottom lip and then crying ensued.
I'm proud to say I resisted the urge to drive down the street, but I did call to check on them. Of course, they were fine. But what really made me happy was when I went to pick them up and they were smiling at Ms. Eliana and having a great time. What a relief! Despite preparing myself for the worst (I'd heard many stories of babies who didn't eat or sleep their first day at daycare), they got along just fine without us.
I love their teacher! She is the perfect blend of flexible (willing to work with our schedule) and helpful (she is the baby expert, after all). Most importantly, I see Maddy and Gabe bonding with her already.
Okay, now the vent. The babies are awake for about 12 hours each day, and they spend about 9 of those in daycare, and 1 commuting to and from daycare. That leaves Philip with about one hour of QT in the morning, and me with about one hour of QT in the evening.
This means I live for the weekend, and I have never been more thankful that I have my summers off.
Bless your heart. I know it's hard to have so little awake time with them during the week, but, like you said, you are blessed to have the summers off. I'm so glad to hear that daycare went well!
ReplyDelete