Spring Break! Mine was perfect. Spent the first couple of days with the babies, getting them used to a new feeding schedule. We changed their feeding times from 6, 10, 2, & 6 to 8, 4, 12, & 8. This moves them closer to a breakfast/lunch/dinner schedule, and gives us more quality time with them, where we're not racing around trying to get bottles ready. Other big changes this week: I have made the big decision to stop pumping. This has been tough in ways I did not anticipate. Didn't know if the same emotionality would accompany weaning from a pump as from breastfeeding, and it has. To the extent that I had to put the pump out of site to commit to weaning. I made the decision because I have run out of patience after being chained to that pump for 6 long months! Lately, I kept finding myself putting off pumping, which made my milk supply go down as the babies needed more and more milk. I no longer was able to give them half and half. In the long run, I am proud of myself for making it this far. Exclusively pumping for twins for 6 months is no small feat.
In other news, babies LOVE sweet potatoes and bananas. Oatmeal, however, not so much. Gabe spits up with every meal. We'll stick to rice, for now. Anybody know if barley is more like oatmeal or rice?
Maddy is sitting up unsupported, and I observed her rocking back and forth like babies do right before they crawl. Gabe would prefer to lie down all day and roll from place to place. That boy loves to roll! They both love to practice going from sitting to standing with support, and occasionally will take practice steps.
At this point, I am happy to report our sleeping problems are slowly dissolving. Usually Maddy only wakes up a couple of times over a 10 hour span. Gabe wakes up more often, but is normally quick to go back down. Also, our tummy problems have calmed as the babies are getting older, with the help of regular prune juice and reflux meds for Gabe!
Some of you might ask: what did the babies for Easter?! Well, they met my bff Christy (shout-out!)! She came for the weekend and wooed them with her magical children's librarian ways. She fed them, played with them, (watched while I) bathed them, and read them stories. They loved her! Especially our girl, who is mesmerized by females of all ages. It meant a lot to be able to introduce these important people to each other.
Shout-outs this week also go to the folks at daycare, with whom I shared about this blog, fully anticipating them to roll their eyes. They have become blogstalkers! The babies are lucky to have such caring people in their lives. I'm telling y'all, Miss Amy and Miss Jamie are GOOD at what they do. Sometimes I think the twins would rather stay at daycare, they are so happy there.
I have about a month and a half left of school, and then I'm home with the babies all summer! I am planning lots of fun things for them, including a cross country trip to meet their roots! Can't wait to try out those adorable swimsuits their Nana sent…
Barley has a finer texture than oatmeal (even the baby type) but is very good for digestion. I found that once I introduced fruits and veggies, the guys liked their cereal less. So I mixed cereal and fruit (occasionally a veggie like sweet potatoes), and they loved it again. Philip especially liked plums and rice, applesauce and oatmeal, bananas and oatmeal, sweet potatoes and barley. Don't ask me how I remember that... :)
ReplyDeleteI like my barley with hops. Either in the bottle or poured out in a cold mug.
ReplyDeletei found the same...once more "exciting" food came along, cereal was b-o-r-i-n-g! so we just mixed everything she ate with her cereal and ruthie, too, loved it again.
ReplyDeletenow, cereal is fun again since she's learned to balance milk and real cereal (kix, rice krispies, cheerios) in a spoon!