Monday, June 22, 2009

Arklahoma Summer Tour 2009!

Wow! What a trip that was. I'm finally getting around to posting these pics and vids, after getting our summer off to a great start.

We packed the babies up that last Friday in May, after their baths and last bottle. As we had hoped, they were out before we crossed into Alabama. I committed to driving the first leg of the 8 hour journey to Little Rock. Most who know me could tell stories of my overzealous nature getting me into trouble. Well, like the babies, I was also very sleepy by the time we crossed into Alabama. Thankfully, Philip is a night owl. He drove most of the way.

We got to LR sleepy, but excited to see the Bentley clan! We had a blast with Mammaw and Pappaw. Maddy and Gabe LOVED them, and I think it was mutual. It was pretty moving to see the babies take to them right off.

While in LR, we got to see many other Bentleys. One of the highlights of our trip was taking the babies over to meet Great Mammaw. Others were a cookout at the home of Philip's brother & family, and watching one our nieces graduate from 8th grade. Mammaw was the consummate host, as usual. We all felt very comfortable. Mammaw, sorry about the carrot spit-up stains on the carpet.

After a few days in LR, it was on to Rogers, AR, to spend a few days with Philip's dad, David, and his wife, Sally. The babies know them well, so they were at ease right away. We had a great time in Rogers. One of the highlights for me was Sally's amazing cooking! Also enjoyed a day in Eureka Springs and a picnic with some college friends.

Then it was on to Tulsa for some time with the McElroys. Thanks to my parents, we got to stay in a cushy hotel suite. Babies finally got to meet their Uncle Josh! And what a time they had with him. Josh was great with the babies, and he brought smiles to their faces every time they saw him. We spent a day with Mom's side, as well as a day with Dad's family. Philip and I even got to drop the babies off a "Grandma & Grandpa's Daycare" and spend a day on our own. Finally, we got to visit my brother Dan & his wife Angie in their new home. I can remember it was nearly a year ago when they got married and the babies were kicking away in my stomach!

Soon it was time to head back to the A, though we did stop in Little Rock once more, where I had the best banana pudding I have ever had. That night we stopped at a Hampton in Tupelo, MS, and were back home the next afternoon.

The trip was perfect. We were excited about the twins seeing their grandparents again, but the real reason we drove all that way was to introduce them to their GREAT grandparents and GREAT, GREAT grandparents. It's always so meaningful for me to see our loved ones with the babies. Thanks for taking such good care of us, y'all.

Now we are in full summer mode. I am enjoying my time home with the babies. I bought them a little wading pool which we will try out soon (photo op!), we are going to baby story time at the library, which the babies love, and we are taking lots of walks and "field trips" out and about. I'm also working on starting a play group with some other moms.

Maddy & Gabe are doing new things every day. Maddy is crawling, and Gabe is pulling up. Looks like he may skip crawling. They are enjoying all sorts of new experiences these days. Should be a fun summer.

Pics and vids coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment