Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Short One (I promise)

Hello guys,

This day has been gruelling at best. I was informed today that technically our twins are not premature, nor are they full term. They are "near term". This is normal for twins. Still, their respiratory system and eating habits have been needing to do a lot of catching up. We have had to make sure they know when to breathe and when to eat (and try not to confuse the two).

They have made very good progress, and we are on track to leave the hospital with a clean bill of health. Still, it has required a ton of attention (maybe more than with a usual pregnancy considering their near term status, the fact we have two, and Steph is still recovering from a c-section, rather than a normal vaginal birth).

The long and short of it has been a ton of monitoring and tutoring. But as my boss has told me, it is the hardest job you will ever love.

I managed to get a solid three hours of sleep (sad to say that this was a treat). Still it has been enough. The nursery was gracious enough to watch the kids. It is not easy to be the only person on guard sometimes. While I was conked out, Steph made tremendous progress. When I fell asleep she was attached to the bed, miserable and drinking fluids at best. By the time I woke up she was up and around on her own, and the IV was gone. She took a shower and even straightened the room. She has been eating soup all day. She is still soar, but she has definitely turned a corner.

Oh, some of you have asked the hair color. Steph called it best: "Dishwater Blond". See if you can figure that description out.

Apart from a "debby downer" neo-natologist supervisor and one nighttime nurse who did not seem to have everything to gather, we have a wonderful service here at Crawford Long.

Love you all,
- Philip

5 comments:

  1. One of the many, many lessons of parenthood...three hours sleep is a treat! Sounds like you've all turned a corner.. the hardest part of turning a corner is just before you turn.
    The interesting part about the tough part of this adventure? They pale in comparison to the joyful, beautiful parts. I know. I'm experiencing the latter right now. Love you, Cherie/Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I so happy for you guys. What a blessing from God; surely He has granted you all unmerited favor. I just know that the two of you will be great parents. Please let me know how I can help. I am sending BIG hugs to you all!! (Try to get some rest.)
    - - C.L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. count me in as an official blog stalker. and i'm bummed because i can't see the video from work. i'll watch it later...
    keep on doing what you're doing.

    heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are two beautiful, happy and lucky babies. They are lucky not because they have health and good looks (which they do) but because they have two lovely and wonderful parents who will love them to bits. I hope we were more of help than a hindrance yesterday. You are a strong and beautiful family! HUG HUG HUG!

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are the two most beautiful babies I have ever seen! REALLY
    Love,
    Sally/Mammaw

    ReplyDelete