Friday, October 3, 2008

The Learning Curve







Well, we're kind of having a hard time. It feels like just when our new family gets our groove, something new pops up and we have to readjust. At their first pediatrician's appointment, the doc expressed concern over their weight and coloring. We were asked to make another appointment and sent to Children's Hospital of Atlanta for a jaundice test.

At the hospital, the Admissions lady comforted me as she put their little hospital bracelets on their ankles by warning me they might have to come back for the next 3 days, or even be admitted. Then we proceeded to the lab, where they got their heels stuck while I sat in the waiting room and cried. Oh yeah, and there was a little girl in the waiting room who kept wanting to kiss the babies and take their stuff and her mom wasn't saying anything and I almost took it to a whole nother level.
So, we spent this week soaking them in indirect sunlight. And at today's appointment, I'm happy to report that their coloring passed the test. But Gabe hadn't gained any weight, so they told us to feed them every TWO hours instead of every three hours. And PS, come back next Tuesday. All of my raise is being soaked up in pediatrician appointments! So, I used to complain about only having 2 hrs between feedings, but those were the good ole days. Now I'm pretty much breastfeeding around the clock. Ouch. I have 1 hour to myself between feedings. And the babies are NOT feeling this new schedule. They are so sleepy when we wake them up to feed them. We pretty much have to dump water on their heads and sing opera songs to keep them awake.

We need prayers and good vibes and thoughts and all that stuff. It has gotten us this far. Good thing we love these babies with everything we have. :)

Shout out of the day goes to Philip's mom, Cherie, who has been a tremendous help. She is using her intuitive skills to help us figure out exactly what we need and how to get there.

What a great adventure this has been!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Steph I'm sorry. I'm sending you (and the whole gang) lots of good thoughts. I'm reviving my 'cheer leading' from the summer for Gabe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that you are all in our prayers. We love you soooo much.
    Sally/Mammaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude...i'm totally praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete