Tuesday, October 14, 2008

YESSSSS!

Had Gabe & Maddy's pediatrician visit yesterday. This was a biggie. The doc came in and did a somewhat thorough exam. And guess what?! Both of them have gained a lot of weight. They are both over their birth weight (Gabe is 5 lbs 13 oz and Maddy is 5 lbs 12 oz), which means we can return to feeding them every 3 hours. Doctor Nice Lady (who also has twins) said they looked great. She even complimented them on their cuteness. I have to agree. Sometimes I just stare at them in amazement. Anyway, the other bit of good news is that we don't have to return to the pediatrician until their 2 month visit! Co-pay times 2, times twice weekly can eat away at money for whimsical baby purchases that we didn't know we needed...

So, we've had some good timin' visitors as of late. Carolina and Susan came offering diapers and coffee filters, respectively. Two very necessary and practical items. My friends Kristin and Amanda came with gifts and cake and lots of love to give us. AND they volunteered to be a dynamic babysitting duo! Bonus! And my friend Jaslyn, who has a little one of her own, stopped by to help out with housework, then she drove to Wal-mart to exchange the crappy diapers we had for some superior ones. And she came back with food for me! What a good friend.

Over the weekend we said goodbye to Philip's mom. That was HARD. And right now we're in between company. Next in line is my brother and his wife, who will be here this weekend. They are newlyweds. We are looking forward to inspiring them to wait a while before they have children. So now I am with the babies during the day while Philip is working. He takes the night shift so I can sleep a bit. It works out okay, except we sort of miss each other. He keeps asking me if this is normal. I think he can't believe people really do this sort of thing all the time- having a baby really means this much chaos. I think our culture does a better job of preparing women for this than men. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steph and Phil, Yes people do all those things that seem impossible for their kids. YOUR LIFE IS OVER!!! And yes, we don't generally train men well for parenthood.
    Congrats!
    David (K-27)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how chaotic it feels isn't it? I remember crying when Will was a couple months old--thinking Brent and I would never see each other again--but we do. Generally we see each other while we're both staring at Will, but it's a new, better level of togetherness. :)

    Congratulations on the weight gain. I am super impressed with you! I was just nursing one baby and gave a two hands in the air "YES!" when the doctor told me he'd gained weight. Your achievement is cartwheel-worthy. But get someone else to do it for you. Way to go Mom!

    ReplyDelete