Monday, September 22, 2008

Chocolate Cake and 80's Rock Bands

So, I thought it only fair to give you today's report.

Basically, there is just a lot of waiting. Just a couple of days and wah-lah! I am a Dad. And just like a magic trick there is always the long pause before the rabbit (or rabbits, in our case) are pulled from the hat.

SO, we have basically been eating a lot of comfort food today: chicken fingers, burgers, coconut-basil Thai chicken noodle soup (What?!? It's typical comfort food for some part of the world). To get back to middle America roots, last night we baked a chocolate cake--CORRECTION -- a "perfectly chocolate" chocolate cake from the back of the Hershey Cocoa box. You must try this. No, I do not think you heard this. You must try this. Hilariously gut-busting deliciousness.

I think the comfort food is subconscious efforts for us to start waking up the home in our house. It is also a way to calm nerves we try to disregard.

We also bought some more baby accessories on gift cards from friends. A bathing tub, baby monitors, burp clothes, first aid kit, a rubber ducky water temperature gauge thingy . . . It is hilarious to watch Steph avoid pink and blue. The result is a gender-neutral green. I think she is wanting to raise an androgynous 80's rock band, like the Eurythmics. I guess it will be strange sort of Partridge family where we all dress in green. I will play the guitar/synthesizer with a Flock of Seagull haircut. Steph will manage the drum machine.

We finished the night dizzy from assembling baby accessories and the buzz of the TV (filled with mindless entertainment brought to you by the Emmy's and I Love Money). Steph was even able to coax our cat Little Man into letting her snip off the matted fur on his back. Normally he would have scurried into a hiding place only he knows at the slightest hint of grooming. I think the motherly vibe is already starting to shine forth. I think this is why he let her clean him up a bit.

Steph is now asleep with the door open so she can here the action in the other room (she like to fall asleep that way). I am now typing up this BLOG entry with a silent film from AMC on in the background.

I can hear the crickets chirping and an imaginary clock tick tocks in my head (hey, be happy it isn't voices). The house is already starting to fill empty of important members yet to have arrived. I think the nest has got enough twigs.

I think it is time to learn how to be a dad . . . a dad. And to learn the guitar/synthesizer.

- Philip

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful.
    I thought the twins would be born on the equinox. But I think it may be their parents who are born.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this cake before. IT IS awesome!

    ReplyDelete